Originating in , the West Side Sephardic Synagogue (WSSS) has been established for the purpose of maintaining and conducting a Sephardic synagogue in the Upper West Side, with respect to the Maghrebi traditions and prayers. Over the last two decades, the WSSS has morphed into a full-service location not only offering regular services (Shabbat, holidays…) but also various classes, events and programs for youths & adults.
The West Side Sephardic Synagogue affirms its dedication to the following principles:
- Instilling of a true and devoted reverence for orthodox Judaism
- Fostering Jewish knowledge and learning
- Promoting the welfare of the members of the congregation
- Assisting in every way possible the Jewish community in the UWS
- Participating in activities which benefit the Jewish people as a whole
- Conducting its services and functions in a manner designed to inspire
love and respect for the Maghrebi Jewish tradition
These aims shall not be changed as they form the basis on which the WSSS was founded and will continue to exist.
We invite you all to join us in our journey of promoting the Maghrebi Jewish tradition!
The following are current board members of WSSS. Please feel free to approach them with ideas or comments:
Noam Ohana - President
Daniel Davidson - Treasurer
Brigitte Dayan Afilalo
Elizabeth Levy - Secretary